Angel Labs MYT™ Engine Frequently asked questions
- What are the main possible fluid leakage points for oil, fuel, and air paths in the MYT (Engine) and how are you preventing them?
Using off the shelf techniques proven to be mass producible in the current engine designs.
1. Piston and Cylinder: Sealing achieved by a set of any round piston rings on a round cylinder core.
2. Between the two discs: Sealing achieved by a set of round rings.
3. Cover/Outer joints: Sealing is achieved by more than 1.5 inch wide flat Aluminum surfaces bolted with 16 bolts torque @ 45 ft. lbs. each.
4. Anything round can be sealed with a ring, it�s an engineering fact.
- Is there any heat problem since there�s a claim of a lot of pressure, heat and a lot of pulses? (Equivalent to 32 cylinders)
The cylinder exposure to combustion cycle is a function of the cycle. In this case only 90 degrees in the MYT Engine compared to 180 degrees in a conventional engine. In addition, the Engine is built to cool with air outside and inside, while further cooling is achieved by oil and fuel circulating throughout entire system including the pistons. An in-line oil-cooling radiator is hooked up to the dry sump system if necessary.
- Can current materials withstand the tremendous mechanical stress generated since it�s so compact?
We do not foresee any material issues, but the goal of the Engine is to push to the limit of available material strength, even though the first generation models are built with enough thickness and sizes. The material used in the Engine (Vacuum melt aircraft high alloy Steel), can withstand over 300,000 psi of tensile stress when heat-treated. Further efforts will be made to make the engine even more compact.
- What�s the explanation of your clean environment claims?
The compression dwell at TDC (Top Dead Center) is a full 12 degrees of rotation time compared to less than one tenth that for a conventional engine. Complete burning is expected to further reduce Carbon Monoxide, Hydrocarbon and NOX and other gases. The fuel will be incinerated and thoroughly consumed and turned into better pressures (thermal efficiency) during the lengthened dwell, virtually eliminating any unburned fuel to exhaust at any speed
- How much testing have you performed on the engine with fuel? And what�s the result?
Diesel like bio fuel to run the initial engine test of short runs for about six months for verification purposes.
To preserve working models Angel Labs subsequently adopted air motoring to run Dynamometer instead of fuel ignition so that we can gain test data of engine horsepower and torque without destructing the engine. With an impressive development already attained with the initial development and 814 lb.ft. of torque at low rpm of data acquired, we are now ready to run the engine with fuel with the next round of funding.
- How can you achieve a compression ratio of over 60?
The technology does not need valves. This means that pistons can reach close proximity during the compression. The size of the combustion chamber can be any size resulting in compression ratio of up to and over 60 to 1.
- What are the advantages and significance of using the bio fuel?
We are planning to use the Bio Fuel not only as a fuel but also as a lubricant, due to high lubricity of the bio fuel. This means that every tank full of fuel, engine is circulated with more than 20 gallons of fresh engine oil compared to 5 quarts of engine oil circulating over 3,000 miles. The bio fuel is expected to be a renewable energy source qualifying this project for several tax credits. No more oil change and longer engine life.
- What�s the significance of the air motoring test?
When engine blows up it�s hard to isolate the real cause of failure due to multiple number of parts broken.
We have achieved 814 ft. lbs. of torques from 150 psi of compressed air.
Projection: Ambient air pressure is about 14.7 psi, the pressure before the ignition will rise to about 290 psi when compressed to 20 to 1. The combustion process will boost the pressure to over 1,500 psi as a result of the chemical reaction of the firing. Extrapolation based on the mechanical advantage shows that the Engine will exert over 4,000 ft. lbs. of torque
- Can the engine run upside down?
Yes. The Engine uses dry sump lubrication system for oil circulation, making it possible to operate in any positions.
- How do you inject the fuel?
We are planning to use both a current and more advanced proprietary fuel injector, invented by Raphial. We believe the advanced injector is a cost effective design and that this new fuel injector will eliminate pre-ignition, detonation and knock events, responsible for the annoying marble sound inherent to Diesel Engines.
- How can you get rid of the transmission when you use the MYT Engine in a car?
The current standard engine and its transmission is necessary since most internal combustion engine cannot generate enough torque at low rpm. So at low speed, instead of turning the engine at low rpm, it has to turn at high rpm to move the vehicle therefore, needs a transmission to gear down. The MYT Engine, due to 16 firings in one revolution, generates enough torque to move the vehicle at any low rpm, and as a result, a transmission is not required in a vehicle powered by the engine. We anticipate a system capable of high, and low speed, and reverse will be provided instead of a standard transmission and a rear end.
- How did you decide on an 850 cubic inch displacement for the first model?
Raphial, the inventor, wants to help big rig truck drivers who were hit hard economically due to high oil prices. It turns out that 850 CID engine will power most private airplanes, helicopters, an M-1 tank, as well as 18 wheelers. It will generate more than 4 Mega Watts for remote power generation application.
- what are the differences between the MYT Engine and the Wankel (Rotary) engine?
The MYT Engine fires 16 times in one revolution vs. single rotor Wankel�s 1.5 firings. The MYT Engine is a positive displacement engine without sealing problems because the MYT Engine uses round piston and round cylinder same as conventional engines. The MYT Engine does not have to rotate at very high rpm to achieve torque. The Wankel Rotary engine�s pistons and cylinders are of tri-angular and squarish on the corners design. Furthermore, the piston assembly turns away from the center line of the shaft. The MYT Engine design leads to an enormous displacement leading to 850 CID at 150 lbs. The Rotary Engine with 200lbs is only 80 CID.
- What�s the main advantage of the engine as a gas or liquid pump?
Currently, no single pump can exhibit high volume, high flow, and high pressure in one unit.
1. For the pressure, reciprocating piston type pump is preferred, which lacks in volume and flow.
2. For volume and flow, centrifugal pump is preferred which then lacks pressure.
To achieve all, many stages of centrifugal pumps are used which is very heavy and costly to operate.
The MYT Pump can match pumps of 10 times in size and weight and reduces the operating cost by a factor of 5.
- Is there any sealing problem, especially when it is in different sizes?
No. Sealing is achieved by round piston rings in a round cylinder, which has been proven for the past 100 years of engineering. Sealing between the rotating discs is achieved by circular rings.
- Is the engine mechanically sound?
Absolutely yes. The engine has only 15 major parts compared to hundreds of parts for a standard engine. This lower number of parts means less chance of breakdown. Note that all the parts of the Engine are the proven components of 100 years of engineering. The engine is just configured and packaged in a very efficient and smart way.
- Is the Engine at 14� dia by 14� long, really 850 cubic inches of displacement and equivalent to 32 cylinders? How can you prove it?
Yes. A displacement is pi*bore*bore*stroke*firings/4. The Engine�s bore=3 inches, stroke = 3.75 inches, and 32 firings in two complete revolutions. The calculations results in 848 cubic inches of displacement.
- How is the valuation calculated?
Simply put, Angel Labs, LLC owns over 100+ inventions of Mr. Raphial RG. Morgado, the inventor. These inventions are already achieved. In addition, Angel Labs, LLC will own all the future inventions of Mr. Morgado while employed by Angel Labs.
If we only focus on the Engine, when a licensing deal is consummated, royalty income from one major company can be as high as half a billion dollars per year. We expect nominal licensing fees to be around $300M. In any point of view, the engine itself brings the valuation to over $1B, and that�s what we set the valuation of Angel Labs, LLC
- If this engine is so exciting, why haven�t GM, Ford, Daimler Chrysler, etc., licensed it yet?
For the last five years we have operated in a stealth mode for security reasons. We only made the information public with the press release on March 10, 2005. It will take many months for a corporation to assimilate, evaluate and take action.
- If the technology is so exciting, why haven�t major venture firms in the US invested yet?
The charter of the most of VCs we have contacted in the past was limited to investing in Information Technology sector only. Since internal combustion engine is a very mature business, most venture capitals lack in expertise in investing in this sector.
- What are Angel Labs achievements over the past 4 years with about $4 million spent?
Most investment was in R&D, prototype construction and plant and equipment.
I. The first prototype of the MYT engine was built from scratch to prove that the engine technology is testable
II. Since not a single part was farmed out, every part was built using Angel Labs purchased CNC machines with CAM programs to perform in production environment.
III. Test Equipment including a Dynamometer by Superflow was purchased and test cell was built. To preserve the few engines, the company selected air motoring test (less invasive) that resulted in 814 ft. lbs. of torque from 150 psi of compressed air at 900 rpm.
IV. We also performed R&D for a passenger car that employs a different air motoring technique for more efficient light transport.
- I want to invest only into the Engine, not in all of Angel Labs, can I do that, and what�s the valuation?
No, but as explained above, the Engine only company will be valued at no less than the current valuation of whole Angel Labs, LLC which owns all the inventions.
- What will be the price of the Engine in a passenger car, in short term and the long term?
Since the power to weight performance of the Engine may be over 20 times that of conventional engine, it will compete even with a premium price initially. But in the long run, it will be more affordable than the conventional engine just because the part count is less than 50 compared to thousands.
- Do you have your own automotive inventions?
Yes. Since Angel Labs, LLC wants to remain as an Intellectual Property company, we would like to license complete automotive designs to existing and/or new players in automotive business.
- If I invest, will I be the part owner of the Angels Flight Pack, too?
Yes, the part owner of all other inventions of the past and the future.